Galiano Affordable Living Initiative Society (“GALI”) is committed to respecting your privacy and protecting your personal information. In this policy we explain how we handle your personal information when you use our website. As a not-for-profit society operating in British Columbia we are subject to BC’s Protection of Personal Information Act [SBC 2003] Chapter 63 (“PIPA”).
With a mandate to relieve poverty by building and managing affordable rental housing for low and moderate income residents of Galiano Island, we operate our website to communicate about that mandate, as well as facilitate access to information about our services, receive applications, sign up members, receive donations and otherwise further our mandate.
PLEASE NOTE that by interacting with and therefore submitting personal information to us via our website, you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information, in compliance with this policy and as permitted or required by law.
Details about how to ask questions about this policy or our collection of your personal information is included below. It is important to us to be transparent about our collection, use and disclosure of your information and we are happy to help if you want more information.
What is Personal Information?
This policy and PIPA apply to “personal information”, which is defined in PIPA to mean information about an identifiable individual, and includes employee personal information but does not include contact information, or work product information. This can be information that you provide that identifies you directly, like with your name, or indirectly because combined together with other information a person could work out that the information is related to you. It also includes information about how you use our website, like cookies and other electronic data like the kind of browser you use.
What We Collect About You
Depending on how you interact with the website (for example just browsing, or filling out our online forms), we may collect, use, and disclose the information below. Remember, the just browsing info applies when you’re filling out forms, but the forms info doesn’t apply if you’re just browsing.
Just browsing? We collect information about how you use our website and services, including but not limited to:
- Your username or unique identifier;
- Your IP address, browser type;
- Other electronic information about how you interact with our website or email; and
- Contact information when you use our website to send a message to us.
Filling out a form or application? We collect more detailed information about you, including but not limited to:
- Your full name;
- Your email address;
- Your physical Galiano or off-island home and/or mailing addresses;
- Your preferences about:
the type of membership you’d like;
volunteering and availability;
your support of our programs and relation to the project; and
payment methods and more
- Your name and contact information combined with user-provided info in our online contact form; and
- Preferences for emails, newsletters, applications and receipt of other communications;
Sometimes we collect and use personal information at an aggregate level. In that case, the information is not personal information as it doesn’t tell you who we are. Although that means PIPA doesn’t apply we still want you to know that we collect and use that aggregate data to learn more about how our website is performing, who is engaging with us and how and more.
How We Collect Personal Information
Why We Collect Personal Information
Whether you’re just browsing or you’re providing your information to learn more about or to access our services, we collect, use, and disclose your personal information to further our mandate. For example, we collect and use your personal information to:
- Allow you to sign up to be a member or volunteer, or to manage your donations;
- Allow you to opt-in to receiving communications, updates, etc. regarding our activities;
- Receive and respond to your applications, messages and inquiries;
- Operate and maintain our online services, including website maintenance and data analysis (including to create statistics about how you use our website and how often); and
- To provide general information about our activities and services, which we do in compliance with Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (“CASL”).
We may disclose your personal information for the same purposes we have listed above and as required or allowed by law. For example, if other affordable housing initiatives on Galiano are looking to send out information about their project we may provide them with a list of our member’s email addresses, where we can’t send the email on their behalf. We will never provide more than email addresses to other parties except where required by law. Please let us know if you don’t want your email shared with other affordable housing initiatives so we can make sure we don’t disclose that information.
Where and How We Store Personal Information
Your personal information will be collected in British Columbia and may be stored and processed in other countries, including the United States, where it is subject to the applicable laws of that country.
We keep your personal information only as long as we need to for the purposes for which we collected it, and for any legal, tax, or reporting obligations we might have. For example if we receive grant funding we might need to retain information on our membership to answer questions in reporting to those funders. We may need to retain donation information to manage our tax returns and associated requirements.
We safeguard your personal information in our custody by taking reasonable measures to secure it from theft/loss, misuse, or unauthorized access or disclosure. We have put in place privacy, confidentiality and security policies, and we make sure that our volunteers and staff with access to your personal information know about and follow these policies.
We want you to know what your rights are.
In Canada, and in BC, you have the right to:
- ask us what information we have about you;
- know how we are collecting, using and disclosing your information and why;
- ask us for access to your personal information;
- ask us to correct or update your personal information;
- make a complaint about our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information; and
- contact us to know more about all of the above.
These rights are all subject to our legal obligations under PIPA.
Get In Touch
Galiano Affordable Living Initiative Society -- #6 - 33 Manzanita Rd. - Galiano Island, BC. V0N 1P0 -- email@example.com